On 6/14/07, Bret Pettichord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Željko Filipin wrote:
> On 6/13/07, *Bret Pettichord* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>
>     What happens if you don't use the "--include-dependencies" option?
>

> It politely asks if I want to install dependencies. :)
> Works fine that way. Thanks Bret.
Since we are still supporting 1.8.2 (esp. for modal dialog support), we
should document this somewhere.

OK, readme.rb seems to be a reasonable option, unless this needs more space
than we need there. Even then, perhaps the readme would point to a page on
the wiki.

Here's the current (relevant) text:

To Install Ruby:    http://ruby-lang.org
  Best is to use Ruby 1.8.2-14 or later.
  However, if you are using the Watir::IE#modal_dialog method, you must use
Ruby 1.8.2-14 and not a more recent version.
  Watir (in general) will not work with Ruby 1.8.1-13. (This version of
Ruby has a bad WIN32OLE library.)

To Install Watir:
  Best way to install is to use the gem.
  From your command line:
    > gem install win32-process --include-dependencies
    > gem install watir
  This will download and install watir, win32-process and all dependencies.

A few questions coming out of this conversation.

  1. When we say "if you are using the Watir::IE#modal_dialog method,
  you must use Ruby 1.8.2-14 and not a more recent version." Do we
  really mean 1.8.2-14? It sounds like 1.8.2-15 worked correctly with
  --include-dependencies. Can we safely just change references from
  1.8.2-14 to 1.8.2-15?
  2. If not, should we change the above to:

To Install Watir:
  Best way to install is to use the gem.
  From your command line:
    > gem install win32-process
  You will be prompted to install dependencies. Say yes.
    > gem install watir
  This will download and install watir, win32-process and all dependencies.

One more question: Do these instructions change in any way if you have a
previous version installed? If so, what should I know to add?

Thoughts?
Jeff

--
http://testingjeff.wordpress.com