Hi,

The app I'm testing has very dynamic pages, constructed by a series of
queries, leading to certain elements loading faster than others. I'd like to
benchmark how long it takes for various pages to load. Toward that end I
wrote:

   100.times do
     url = $url_root + "/view?id=%239202a8c04000641f8000000000056de6"
     start = Time.now
     $ie.goto(url)
     if $ie.link(:text,'Million Dollar Baby').exists?
       $results_array << $ie.down_load_time.to_s
       p '$ie.down_load_time: '+$ie.down_load_time.to_s
     else # there's a problem with the page
       $results_array << 'e'
       p 'e'
     end #if
     took = Time.now - start
     p 'Took: ' + took.to_s
   end #N.times do

Which yields results like:

ruby performance_benchmark2.rb
Loaded suite performance_benchmark2
Started
"$ie.down_load_time: 1.993"
"Took: 2.434"
"$ie.down_load_time: 2.473"
"Took: 2.583"
"$ie.down_load_time: 2.404"
"Took: 2.564"

I'm curious why I get up to .5 seconds more for 'took' than I do for
down_load_time. Does down_load_time have a way of knowing when everything on
the page has finished loading on a page where various elements render in
phases?

I can include more of my script if that's helpful. Our site freebase.com is
in an invite-only alpha right now, but if anyone wants to dig further into
this I would happily forward along on invite.

Thanks,
Jeff

--
http://testingjeff.wordpress.com