-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Nov. 9, 2000
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

REPORT FROM PALESTINIAN INTIFADA: YOUTHS DEFY ISRAELI
SHOOT-TO-KILL TACTICS

Special to Workers World

Israeli tanks and helicopter gun ships escalated the one-
sided war against the Palestinians by opening fire Oct. 30
on Palestinian towns, targeting residential areas, civilians
and offices of Yasir Arafat's Fatah movement.

By Oct. 31, the official death toll in over a month of
Israeli repression rose to 154 Palestinians killed, plus 12
Israelis. Over 6,000 Palestinians in both Gaza and the West
Bank have been wounded.

The U.S. military-industrial complex supplies most of the
weapons and ammunition used by the so-called Israeli Defense
Force. From his wrecked apartment near the Fatah office in
El Bireh, Ramallah's twin city, a Palestinian man seemed
aware of this. He waved a piece of the wall blown in on him
at visitors from the United States, saying, "I want to send
a message to President Clinton, I want to send this back to
him."

The visitors were a four-person team from the International
Action Center, including IAC Co-director Sara Flounders,
West Coast Co-director Richard Becker, Los Angeles Co-
director Preston Wood, and Randa Jamal of Al-Awda, the
Palestinian Right of Return Coalition.

They had come not only to observe the events but also to
bring antibiotics, wound dressings and other medical
supplies to Palestinian hospitals and clinics. These are
badly needed now with Israeli military checkpoints
preventing the normal delivery of medical supplies, plus the
much greater number of wounded to be treated.

The delegation landed in Tel Aviv on Oct. 28, and by the
next day had made the first delivery of medical supplies to
a hospital at Beit Sahour, near Bethlehem. By Oct. 30, the
Israelis had made a new aggressive escalation of the war,
firing on Palestinian cities, and the IAC delegation was in
the middle of a rocket attack on Ramallah.

ISRAELIS SHELL RAMALLAH

>From a rooftop near the home where they were staying, IAC
delegation members could see and hear the step-up in
shelling from tanks and helicopters. This is how Becker
described it:

"At about 10:30 p.m. local time we saw a rocket attack from
what we believe was an Apache helicopter some distance from
the house that we're staying in. A plane that was flying
over, we could see that, we saw a flare and then a large
explosion took place possibly within a mile, mile and a
half.

"We went immediately to the site and it turned out that a
very small building from the Fatah organization had been
rocketed in a residential neighborhood in Ramallah's twin
city, El-Bireh.

"When we arrived on the scene there were many people on the
streets. There's no other commercial buildings or offices in
this neighborhood, all the rest of the neighborhood was
residential. The rocket hit the Fatah office, which is about
6 feet by 12 feet, a really tiny office.

"Then we went immediately across the street to see the
widespread damage to the residential apartments. We went
inside to talk with the people inside the apartments, which
all had the glass blown off in the front of buildings. There
were pieces of the rocket inside the apartment, on the
floor.

"By very great fortune none of the people were injured. We
interviewed a 7-year-old boy who was very scared and 13-year-
old and 16-year-old girls who were terrified. Fortunately,
their mother, a U.S. citizen who lives most of the time in
Birmingham, Ala., had heard the planes and the helicopters
outside the house. She brought the children into the center
of the house in the hallway and had them on a mattress.

"Then the rocket hit across the street and destroyed the
office and blew up the whole front of the square unit
apartment building. There was massive debris everywhere,
including pieces of the missile inside. There was another
house where, according to the neighbors, the people had just
left five minutes before the rocket hit. This house suffered
structural damage, large pieces of stone from the house
lying in front of it, the windows were all blown out.

"We were not able to go into the house next door that was
rocketed. Inside the apartment building there were pieces of
missile that burned the rug. It was also very fortunate that
the apartment building wasn't destroyed by fire."

In Ramallah that night, an announcement came over the
television that everyone in the entire Palestinian nation
was to go to the center of the town for a demonstration.
They gathered there and marched to the site of the shelled
office.

THE INTIFADA IN ACTION

The next day, Oct. 31, the Israeli military kept up its
attacks, killing five Palestinians and wounding scores in
Gaza, including a CNN correspondent. As Flound ers put it,
"The Israeli regime and the U.S. corporate media claim the
Israeli troops use force to 'respond' to attacks, to defend
their positions. This is absurd. The Israelis are armed with
machine guns and tanks, facing young people with at most
slingshots.

"They are attempting to use superior military power and
terror to force the Palestinians to submit to a horribly
unequal treaty. The demonstrations, by the entire
Palestinian population, are the answer: they refuse to
submit."

In Ramallah on Oct. 31 hundreds of Palestinian youths walked
through the town and converged on the checkpoint at the
north end where they faced a line of Israeli tanks. "For a
few moments," said Flounders, "we got to experience what
these young people have been living through for the past
month.

"First the troops opened up with tear gas, no, it was
stronger than tear gas, sort of a CS gas. We still have some
of the canisters," said Flounders. "You can read on them,
'Made in USA.'

"The courage of the youths confronting the troops was
incredible to see. There were hundreds along the sides and
some who got up close to where the soldiers were. Even with
the firing going on they would continue to resist and throw
stones.

"When the Israeli troops opened up with live ammunition, and
we could hear it whistling over our heads and ricocheting
off the buildings, most of the young people had to pull
back. Finally the Israelis opened up with fire from the
tanks, heavy machine-gun rounds, and everyone had to
retreat. But really the statement of the youths was that
they would not be intimidated, they would continue to
resist."

Flounders said that when the IAC delegation delivered the
medicine, they visited some of the wounded at the hospitals
and clinics. "The medical teams said there have been 6,600
people wounded in the past month," she said, "seriously
enough to spend time in a hospital. About one-fifth of them
will have permanent disabilities from the wounds, they
estimated."

The doctors have also trained volunteer ambulance crews to
go to the front lines and bring back those wounded by the
Israeli troops. The IAC had visited the Union of Health Work
Committees and the Union of Palestine Medical Relief
Committees that morning.

According to Flounders, "The work these courageous crews
trained by the committees have done has helped to reduce the
number of people killed in the fighting. They go out while
under fire, rescue the people hit by bullets, and bring them
back to the hospitals and clinics. At least 15 have been
seriously wounded, shot in the chest, back or head."

ISRAELI TROOPS SHOOT TO KILL

Along with the tank fire, rockets and shells, the Israelis
also have snipers operating from rooftops and from the
fortified hilltops where there are settlements, said
Flounders. "These snipers aim to kill. We saw them today
taking aim from the City Inn at the demonstrators. There is
nothing to describe this but terrorism."

The Union of Palestinian Medical Relief Committees made a
special statistical report on Oct. 30 on how those killed by
the Israeli forces had died. It turned out over 98 percent
of wounds that caused death were in the head, neck, chest or
abdomen. Some 84 percent of injuries were from wounds to the
head, neck or upper body, excluding upper body limbs.

By this evidence, it is apparent that the Israeli forces are
shooting to kill unarmed Palestinians.

Flounders described how in the past seven years since the
Oslo Accords were signed, the Israelis have built up a
system of settlements in the West Bank connected by roads
that only cars with Israeli license plates can travel on.
These settlements, she said, are on hilltops in and around
Palestinian villages.

"Now, during the olive harvest," Flounders said, "the
Israeli settlers are firing on Palestinian farmers gathering
olives. Israeli patrols are confiscating the crops at
checkpoints. They are trying to starve out the Palestinians
economically."

Dr. Majed Nassar, deputy director of the Union of Health
Work Committees, had this to say when he met the IAC
delegation after the Israelis shelled Beit Jala and Beit
Sahour on Oct. 28-29:

"I have to admit that the Israeli artillery made us afraid.
Only fools do not get afraid when they are subjected to four
hours of bombardment. But what did it achieve? Did it make
us surrender? Did it make us weak?

"We know that the aim of the Israeli bombardment is to
impose their terms on us by force. They want to translate
their force into political achievements. ... Are they really
trying to fool the world by showing that this is a war
between two armies? That's more than ridiculous.

"We know how weak we are in terms of military capabilities,
but also we know how strong we are because we have a case
and a cause. We also know how weak they are because they are
simply wrong and evil cannot prevail. ... We will continue
to do our best to see that the occupation is over. The
quicker, the better."

To read the delegation's daily reports and for further
information see the Web site www.iacenter.org.

- END -

(Copyleft Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] For subscription info send message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.workers.org)