-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the April 19, 2001
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

WILLIAMS SISTERS FACE RACISM ON AND OFF THE COURT

By Monica Moorehead

All the money, talent and fame in the world cannot shield an athlete of
color from racism.

This is especially true in a traditional Jim Crow sport like tennis--a sport
that has been rubberstamped "for whites only" for many decades. Venus and
Serena Williams, the sensational African American tennis players, are proof
positive of this fact.

These two women, raised in the poor community of Compton, Calif., have been
credited with breaking down some entrenched racial barriers in this still
apartheid-like sport with victories in such prestigious grand slam
tournaments as Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and the Australian Open.

However, despite all the excitement they have brought to the tennis
world--similar to the social impact of Tiger Woods in golf--and despite
their multi-million-dollar endorsement contracts, the Williams sisters still
face racism from their opponents on the court, from the predominantly white
crowds and from the big business media.

Never was this more evident than during the semi-final match at the Ericsson
Open American Tennis Pro Tour held at Indian Wells, Calif. On March 17
Serena Williams, the younger sister, was booed by the majority white crowd
during her match with Kim Clijsters of Belgium.

The booing was ignited by the withdrawal of Venus Williams, slated to play
her sister in the same semi-final. Venus withdrew from the match, citing a
recurring bout of knee tendonitis. She did play later on the same day
against another opponent, whom she defeated.

Some of the press stated that the crowd reacted the way it did because the
two sisters did not want to compete against each other. They have played
each other before--for instance, last summer during the Wimbledon
tournament. Why Venus Williams withdrew is not the real issue. The real
issue is who was doing the booing and who was being booed.

Richard Williams, the players' father, stated that the racism leveled
against his daughters was really meant for him. He has been the subject of
much press criticism over the years for openly calling the tennis world
racist and elitist in its treatment of African Americans, the majority of
whom cannot afford a ticket to sit in the tennis stands, much less take
lessons in the game.

Once again the press alleged "an arrangement" orchestrated by the father to
keep the sisters from meeting each other face to face on the court. He has
also been accused of being too emotionally involved with his daughters'
careers--like other parents of tennis players. The main difference between
him and other parents is that he is an African American man who fiercely
tries to protect his daughters from a sport that is thoroughly tainted by
white supremacist attitudes.

Williams said, "When a person can turn against Black people like us who
fought for them and went to war for them, picked cotton for them to make
sure they have all those fine things out there--that's an act of prejudice."
(New York Times, March 27)

Martina Hingis, the number one seeded woman tennis player in the world, who
is white, labeled Richard Williams' allegations of racism "total nonsense."
She stated in an outrageous comment, "I definitely don't feel like there is
any racism on the Tour. I mean, it's a very international sport ... they may
be black but they have a lot of other--how do you say?--advantages to be
where they are. They can always say it's racism or something like that and
it's not the case at all. Not from my standpoint."

Hingis went on to say that because she is Swiss, she could also say she is a
"victim" of racism, since she was surrounded by U.S. citizens during the
tour. This statement was so incredibly ridiculous that even some of the
bourgeois press dismissed her statements as being either "naïve or silly."
But such statements are racist, whether said consciously or unconsciously,
and can be used to fuel dangerous divisions and confusion.

Whenever one of the Williams sisters defeats her, Hingis gives her credit
for "physical prowess" as opposed to intelligence, knowledge of the game and
skills. These kinds of racist statements are commonplace among white sports
reporters, coaches and athletes whenever any nationally oppressed athlete
excels in a sport. When Venus Williams finally defeated Hingis in the finals
of this tournament, Hingis stated in reaction to Williams' 51 winning
volleys, "If you look like Venus or Serena, it might happen. ... If I was
that tall and muscular, maybe I would have some more winners, too."

Williams replied: "I just play a lot smarter now. ... I still like to hit
hard because that is my game and it keeps people on their toes and it keeps
them pushed back. But I think in general I make a lot better decisions."
(New York Times, March 30)

A general upsurge in the mass movement for social justice would motivate
other tennis players to speak out against these racist attacks in the sports
world and express solidarity with the Williams sisters and others. Are not
sports just a reflection of the widespread inequality and bigotry of this
capitalist society?

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to copy and
distribute verbatim copies of this document, but changing it is not allowed.
For more information contact Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] For subscription info send message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.workers.org)