-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the May 17, 2001
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

NEW LAWYERS FILE AFFIDAVITS: "MUMIA DIDN'T DO IT"

By Berta Joubert-Ceci
Philadelphia

In a dramatic development, the new legal team representing
Mumia Abu-Jamal has filed three affidavits that deal
directly with what happened in Philadelphia on the night of
Dec. 9, 1981, when the African American journalist was shot
and Police Officer Daniel Faulkner was killed.

Marlene Kamish of Chicago and Eliot Lee Grossman of Los
Angeles held a news conference in front of the Federal
Building here May 4 after filing a written notice of
appearance in U.S. District Court. They are now representing
the internationally known Black journalist, together with
British Barrister Nicholas R.D. Brown and Philadelphia
attorney J. Michael Farrell.

They had also filed the affidavits--from Abu-Jamal himself,
from his brother William Cook, and from a third person named
Arnold Beverly--as new evidence to support both a habeas
corpus petition and a request for an evidentiary hearing.

Attorney Kamish said at the press conference, "Mumia Abu-
Jamal has been in prison for 20 years. He's been on death
row isolated from family, from friends, from loved ones. All
that time he has maintained his innocence.

"He is innocent. And today we have filed in the court here a
sworn document by Arnold Beverly stating that he in fact is
the one who shot Daniel Faulkner on December 9, 1981, fully
vindicating Mumia Abu-Jamal. We have also filed a sworn
statement by his brother, William Cook, about his
recollection of the events of that night."

Kamish read a part of the new affidavit from Abu-Jamal that
says: "I, Mumia Abu-Jamal, declare: I am the Petitioner in
this action. If called as a witness I could and would
testify to the following from my own personal knowledge: I
did not shoot Police Officer Daniel Faulkner. I had nothing
to do with the killing of Officer Faulkner. I am innocent.

"At my trial I was denied the right to defend myself. I had
no confidence in my court-appointed attorney, who never even
asked me what happened the night I was shot and the police
officer was killed; and I was excluded from at least half
the trial....

"Now for the first time I have been given an opportunity to
tell what happened to me in the early morning hours of Dec.
9, 1981. This is what happened."

After describing the events that night, Abu-Jamal's
statement ends: "I never confessed to anything because I had
nothing to confess to. I never said I shot the policeman. I
did not shoot the policeman. I never said I hoped he died. I
would never say something like that."

William Cook's statement says: "Mumia was not holding a gun.
Mumia never intervened in anything between me and the cop. I
had nothing to do with the shooting or killing of the police
officer. My brother Mumia Abu-Jamal had nothing to do with
shooting or killing the policeman."

About Beverly, lawyer Grossman said: "The person who
actually shot Daniel Faulkner has come forward saying in a
sworn affidavit that he was hired to kill the police officer
because the police officer was interfering with the
corruption among the police and organized crime in Center
City in the 1980s.

"We have interviewed this witness ourselves," said Grossman,
"and we feel satisfied that the affidavit is credible and we
believe our obligation is to come forward.

"Basically, Mumia was at the wrong place at the wrong time
when a hit was in progress against the police officer, who
was interfering with corruption among the police in
Philadelphia."

Arnold Beverly's statement says that, "I was hired, along
with another guy, and paid to shoot and kill Faulkner. I had
heard that Faulkner was a problem for the mob and corrupt
policemen because he interfered with the graft and payoffs
made to allow illegal activity including prostitution,
gambling, drugs without prosecution in the Center City
area."

He finishes his statement: "I left the area underground
through the speedline system and by pre-arrangement met a
police officer who assisted me when I exited the speedline
underground about three blocks away. A car was waiting for
me and I left the Center City area."

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] For subscription info send message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.workers.org)