-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the July 5, 2001
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

FIGHTING RACISM AND HOMOPHOBIA:
"AN INJURY TO ONE IS AN INJURY TO ALL"

[The following is excerpted from a talk by Bob McCubbin at
a June 9 Workers World meeting in Buffalo celebrating lesbian,
gay, bi and trans Pride month. McCubbin is the author of
"The Roots of Lesbian and Gay Oppression," a Marxist analysis
that blazed the trail for other researchers and theorists.
Today McCubbin is a leading organizer of the San Diego chapter
of the International Action Center.]

I was an anti-racist and anti-war activist here in Buffalo,
N.Y., in the 1960s. In fact, Youth Against War and Fascism,
the youth group of Workers World Party at that time, used my
apartment as an organizing center for several years.

The U.S. Secret Service broke into the office the night
before presidential candidate George Wallace brought his
racist campaign to Buffalo in 1968. All they found were anti-
racist and anti-Vietnam War signs and banners. It was
probably in that apartment, or in the corner restaurant
across the street, that one morning in late June 1969 I
opened up the New York Times and saw the headline,
"Homosexuals Riot in Greenwich Village."

To me this article represented news of the birth of a new
political movement, and it filled me with hope and fear at
the same time. I knew my own life was going to be changed in
some fundamental and profound ways. But that's what struggle
always does. It opens up new possibilities. It touches and
changes even those not directly involved. It inspires us to
believe in the possibility of a better, more just world. It
inspires us to get involved. Frederick Douglass said it
best: "Without struggle there is no progress."

I was going to focus tonight on some of the theoretical
insights birthed by the Stonewall Rebellion and the truly
global movement that it sparked. But when I got into
Buffalo, I heard about the racial targeting here, and so I
decided to shift the focus of my presentation somewhat.

I want to talk a little bit about what's been happening with
the movements for social justice in southern California and
especially San Diego, where I've lived for the past 12
years. There are some strong parallels with developments
here, both in terms of the increase in repression and in the
response.

FRESH WINDS OF STRUGGLE

There's a fresh spirit of struggle among lesbian, gay, bi
and trans youth in southern California. I'm involved with a
coalition called the Stonewall Initiative for Equal Rights
that has been organizing in Los Angeles, Orange County and
San Diego.

This coalition had its origins several years ago when a
number of Los Angeles groups and activists got together to
discuss the mounting police harassment of gay men in the
Sunset Junction area of Los Angeles. The police were
targeting men in front of gay bars and on streets. The
police message was clear: "We want the gays out of this
community."

A strong, defiant rally organized by the Stonewall
Initiative on a busy street corner at the very center of the
community gave our answer: "We know the police are acting at
the behest of the real estate interests that want to
gentrify this community. We know the police don't serve us.
We will organize larger and larger protests until the police
stop targeting us."

But this one powerful rally did the trick. At least for the
present, the police have pulled back.

This past February in San Diego, the ultra-right-wing
Changing Gays movement called a conference for teachers and
parents of lesbian, gay, bi and trans youth. The idea was to
spread the homophobic and homo-hating idea that these youth
can and should become straight.

Well, a spirited six-hour picket line and rally outside the
conference sent a very different message--a message of pride
and resistance. This Stonewall Initiative action drew youth
from Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego.

In April, an outpouring of about three times as many
lesbian, gay, bi and trans activists--mostly youth--
descended on Newport Beach, a very conservative town in
Orange County. They came to protest another right-wing,
racist, sexist, anti-gay conference.

The impetus for the action was the homophobia and homo-
hatred of the ultra-right conference organizers and
attendees. But many of the rally speakers addressed the need
to fight racism, the prison-industrial complex and the
racist death penalty. There were many youths of color in
attendance at this demonstration.

And when an announcement was made about an upcoming West
Coast mobilization in San Francisco in support of death-row
political prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal, many of the lesbian,
gay, bi and trans youth expressed an interest in going to
show support for this brave and uncompromising
revolutionary.

This kind of solidarity--this instinctive understanding by
the youth that an injury to one is an injury to all--is
exactly what's needed to advance our struggle. It is the key
to victory for all the struggles of working and oppressed
people.

RACIST POLICE KILLINGS IN SAN DIEGO

In San Diego, the Committee Against Police Brutality began
several years ago as an ad hoc coalition following the
police killing of unarmed Black athlete Deme trius DuBois.
The police were called in response to a minor
misunderstanding among neighbors that was completely
resolved prior to their arrival. But in a typically racist
manner, the cops saw a young, muscular African American man
and immediately assumed he was the problem.

A minute later Demetrius DuBois was dead of 12 bullet
wounds, six of them in his back.

Hundreds of people immediately pro tested at the site of the
murder. And for 12 weeks running, those of us who had
actively worked to build the first protest gathered downtown
outside the county courthouse every Friday afternoon for an
angry picket line denouncing the police.

But the killing spree of the San Diego police didn't begin
with Demetrius DuBois and it didn't end with him. In the two
years since his death at least 12 other unarmed people have
been gunned down by San Diego law enforcement agencies. And
this pattern is being repeated in city after city all across
the U.S.

What has been unleashed is a nationwide campaign of terror
that targets the most oppressed, especially people of color.
Its purpose is to instill fear and hopelessness. It
complements another instrument of repression, the new growth
industry: the prison-industrial complex.

With over 2 million people in prison--more and more of them
women--and another 3 million people awaiting trial, on
parole or on probation, the U.S. has a larger percentage of
its population entangled in the so-called justice system
than any other country in the world. Racial profiling and
three-strikes laws help to feed this monster.

And there's the racist death penalty. Almost 4,000 people
are on death row, disproportionately people of color. And
all of them are poor. You don't get put on death row if you
can afford a decent lawyer.

UNITED WE STAND

Could all this repression have anything to do with the
obscene disparity of wealth in this country? How could it
not? While most of us, gay and straight alike, scramble to
pay higher and higher utility bills and rent, the Congress--
with Democrats and Republicans basically united on this--
pass a tax cut bill that will hand over billions and
billions more to the already immensely rich.

While the cities decay, hospitals close and other urban
problems mount, the municipal governments can find nothing
better to do with our tax money than finance new stadiums
and hire more police. In the last 10 years California has
built 22 new prisons, but only one new university.

Yes, the rich are in control, now more than ever. They
expropriate the wealth that our work produces. While
millions are forced to forego health care in order to pay
the rent, the big banks, oil companies, military-industrial
corporations and other corporate giants ravage the planet in
constant search of ever-greater profits.

We are faced with a system based on unbridled greed, a
system that has total disregard for the needs of this and
future generations. A system that, in truth, is destroying
the very basis for the continuation of life on this planet.

The class that rules finds homophobia, sexism and especially
racism indispensable weapons in its ongoing war against the
overwhelming majority of humanity: the working people and
oppressed of the world. And as long as the capitalists can
keep us divided, their system of profits before human needs
will continue to function unchallenged.

Lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people need
equality. Women and people of color need equality. Workers
need equality. And to get there, we need solidarity with
each other's struggles. Together, we can build a powerful
movement. Together, we can win a better world.

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] For subscription info send message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.workers.org)