-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Jan. 10, 2002
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

EDITORIAL: A PARABLE WITH NO NAME

The horses and the mules got to talking during the oats
break. They were fed up with being whipped, overloaded and
starved by Warthog, but didn't know what to do about it.
Some wanted to tell the pig where he could go, but others
worried that could cost them their jobs. And jobs were
scarce these days, although goodness knows there was plenty
of need for their services.

"I know," said Storm. "Let's drop a load of bricks on him
next time out." That cheered them up for a while, but then
someone remembered what had happened to Shadow when she
tried something similar.

They thought some more. The lap dog wandered by, saw they
were stretching out their break long after their meager fare
had been eaten, and said, "So what are you all plotting now?
Revolution?"

Everyone was quiet until the hoof-kisser had gone. Then old
Sparky spoke up. "Is that what Warthog's afraid of? That
we'll all get together and give him the heave-ho? Not a bad
idea."

"I don't know," said Boots with a slight shiver. "Would we
really be any better than Warthog? Wouldn't we
just be exchanging one master for another?"

"You've been living in the barn and wearing a saddle for too
long," replied Sparky. "Those of us who sleep out in the
field and pull the heavy loads don't think like Warthog.
We're used to working as a team, looking out for one
another. We could really change things if we all organized
and gave Warthog the heave-ho."

Storm said dreamily, "Maybe another world is possible. But
it would take a lot of work. I say we just drop the load of
bricks on him."

It certainly was tempting. Warthog was at that very moment
humiliating a new member of the team, a colt still only half-
broken and chomping at the bit. All around were horses and
mules going about their business, trying not to feel for the
newcomer, just trying to get through another day.

They wanted to do something, but they knew that without a
plan, without the support of the others, it would only end
in reprisals. The gang went back to work.

Their days melted into one another. Their feedbags got
lighter and lighter while their loads got heavier and
heavier. Warthog was never satisfied with how hard they
worked or how little they ate. He always wanted more.

Want to know what happened? The ending is up to you.

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] For subscription info send message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.workers.org)