-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Aug. 05, 2004
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

HOW PROTESTERS CHALLENGED MARCH BAN--AND WON

By Dustin Langley
Boston

In the days before the Democratic National Convention, a war of nerves
took place between protest organizers and the various federal agencies
working under the umbrella of the Joint Terrorism Task Force.

"We will win our battle in the courts or we will win it in the streets,"
Steven Kirschbaum of Steelworkers Local 8751, an organizer with the
Coalition to Protest the DNC, told a media conference. The coalition,
which had called a July 25 protest, challenged and eventually defeated
attempts by the City of Boston and the JTTF to prevent protesters from
marching down Causeway Street in front of the Fleet Center in Boston,
site of the convention.

Maureen Skehan, an organizer for ANSWER Boston, which initiated the
coalition, said, "We will not allow our rights to be taken away so that
the Democratic Party can have unrestricted access to our city for their
posh parties and convention, which are costing almost $100 million. We
will bring the message to this convention loud and clear: Bring the
troops home now!"

The coalition filed suit on July 19 in federal court against the City of
Boston's refusal to allow protests at the site of the DNC. Its legal
team included lead counsel John Pavlos and attorneys from the American
Civil Liberties Union and National Lawyers Guild. Two days later, Judge
Douglas P. Woodlock ruled that the city had no legal or constitutional
basis for preventing the march. He issued an injunction ordering the
city to grant a permit.

"It's our hope that what happened today will begin pushing back the
efforts by the government to restrict free speech, right of assembly and
the right to march," said Peter Gilbert, an activist from North Carolina
who traveled to Boston to help organize the march on the DNC. "The
police commissioner and the mayor of New York City should be condemned
for denying those organizing the big protest at the Republican
convention in late August the right to rally in an acceptable place. We
hope that what happened today shames the New York City government for
violating the rights of protestors."

Although Judge Woodlock ruled in favor of the permit to march in front
of the Fleet Center, he demonstrated his contempt for free speech by
ruling, in a separate case, that a "protest pen" would be allowed to
stand. The city, in anticipation of angry protests at the DNC, had
constructed what many described as "internment pens" to contain
demonstrators. This area is under an abandoned elevated train line,
surrounded by a double row of chain-link fences covered with thick mesh
and topped with rolls of razor wire.

Organizers with ANSWER Boston denounced the pen in a public statement
on
July 21, saying, "We refuse to be penned in, in any way. The City of
Boston and the Department of Homeland Security have no right to decree
that the First Amendment only applies in a cage. We will exercise our
right to free speech anywhere in the city we choose, especially on
Causeway Street, at the site of the DNC, throughout the entire duration
of the convention."

The judge himself admitted that the pen was "corrosive of democratic
values" and said, "There is nothing more that could be added to the pens
that would be more of an affront to free speech." Despite this, he ruled
that the pens would be allowed to stand.

ANSWER Boston responded to this decision at a press conference calling
on protestors to "boycott the pens" and join the mass march on the DNC
on July 25. Thousands responded to the call, marching past the DNC and
the empty pens, bringing their anti-war, pro-worker message to the
streets. They and thousands more will continue their march--onward to
the Republican National Convention in New York and then to the Million
Worker March in Washington, D.C., on Oct. 17.

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to copy and
distribute verbatim copies of this document, but changing it is not
allowed. For more information contact Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY,
NY 10011; via e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe wwnews-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the
voice of resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)