The TAG asked me to review the site-meta draft: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-site-meta-00
Comments below.

These are my personal comments and have not been reviewed by the TAG. So, it is possible that some TAG members may disagree with them and/or have additional comments.

Minor Comments

1. I think you realize that the use of site-meta as a suffix to the URI steals a portion of the address space available for URIs and may be in conflict with existing URIs that use ‘site-meta’ at the end. I presume you have come to terms with this as a necessary evil.

2. It takes 2 requests to access a piece of metadata. This, too, I presume you have come to terms with.

3. The text says that “Each "meta" element … MUST have a "rel" attribute containing a link relation.” However, the third meta child in the example does not have a ‘rel’ attribute. Is this a typo?

 foo = bar

 baz = bat

4. In the above example, I presume “foo = bar baz = bat” is the content of the metadata. Is this meant to be free text or XML? A few words of explanation and/or a realistic example would be helpful.
More Serious Comments

5. The <metadata> element contains <meta> children that contain information about individual pieces of metadata. But metadata about what? Is this metadata for the site as a whole or for some URI contained on the site? Specifically, what is the subject of the “rel” attribute?

6. Since we are suggesting two mechanisms for accessing metadata: Link Header and site-meta, it seems to me that we need to say something about the relationship between these mechanisms. Do we need both? What are the usecases? Can a website support both mechanisms? I see no reason why it should not. If site-meta is about the site as a whole, how can I get metadata about individual URIs on the site? Do I use the link header mechanism for this?

7. If a website supports both the Link Header and the site-meta mechanisms, then the data obtained from using these two mechanisms must be consistent. As it stands, the structure of the <meta> element and a Link Header entry are a bit different. Should these be aligned?

--

All the best, Ashok