Hi Wolfgang

I am also running Debian and I have successfully installed WxHaskell -
so it is possible. I am exclusively using packages from Debian testing.
That is, no packages from stable or unstable. And no libraries I have
compiled myself except for WxHaskell.

Are you using any packages from the stable/unstable branch?

Could I see your complete output from the ./configure script?

Here is my install log, which may be helpful to you:

* apt-get install darcs libwxgtk2.6-dev xlibmesa-gl xlibmesa-gl-dev
xlibmesa-glu-dev
* darcs get http://darcs.haskell.org/wxhaskell
* cd wxhaskell
* chmod 755 configure
* ./configure --with-opengl --prefix=/usr/local
* make
* su
* make wx
* make wx-install