On Saturday, 08.08.09 at 20:37, S. Doaitse Swierstra wrote:
> But this suggests that your Haskell installation is a global one, so
> you should us:
>
> sudo cabal install wx

I absolutely should *not* do that. It's not reasonable for the wx cabal
package to modify files under the jurisdiction of some different package
management system. It's just plain wrong.

I configured cabal to install packages in my home directory. This has
worked for hundreds of other cabal packages I have installed during my
daily development of Haskell for the past year or so.

The wx cabal package is different from all the others in that it seems
to assume that the user running 'cabal install' will be able to modify
root-owned files in /usr. And it actually tries to do so, in defiance of
~/.cabal/config.

If there is some technical reason wx cannot be installed as a user
package, I'd like to know what it is. If there is a reason, the wx cabal
package should be changed to abort early if such an install is
attempted. It should not be trying to circumvent cabal's normal
procedure for package registration.