Recently on this list it was suggested to use

   myEventId = wxID_HIGHEST+1

for custom events and register them as menu events.

   http://snipplr.com/view/17538/

Now I added menus to my application and I got the strange behaviour that
selecting a certain menu item (the second one of all items) let my
application freeze. I found out that this could be solved by choosing a
different EventId. So is the id wxID_HIGHEST+1 really free for use? How
can I safely choose an id that is free for custom use? Is it sensible to
consider custom events as menu events?

I don't understand much of these id's. Without these custom events you do
not have to bother with id's in wxhaskell.