I have a textCtrl 'editor' and a menu item 'editorVisible' that controls
the visibility of the textCtrl.

     set editorVisible
         [ on command := do
              b <- get editorVisible checked
              set editor [ visible := b ] ]

Now when I uncheck the menu item editorVisible, then the editor actually
disappears, but its space becomes empty and is not occupied by the other
widgets in the GUI. When I resize the window then all widgets are
relayouted and the space of the invisible textCtrl is covered by the other
widgets. That is the result that I want to have, but without resizing the
window. Vice versa when I make the editor visible via the menu, then it
cannot be seen immediately but only after window resizing.

How can I achieve immediate relayout of the window when changing the
showing or hiding the editor? I tried 'refresh editor' and 'refresh panel'
and 'refresh frame' (where panel and frame are the surrounding widgets)
but this does not trigger new layout.

I use wxwidgets-2.8 on GTK and Linux.