Hi Roy,

> I am about to install wxWidgets in preparation for wxLua, and looking for any
> advice or 'gotcha's' before starting the process.

I use my own scripts to get wxwidgets code, run configure and then
call make. I have been doing this for several years with different
versions and the issues were mainly related to compatibility as I
usually compile with the trunk version of wxwidgets and wxlua may lag
a bit behind. I also have several small patches I apply that haven't
been incorporated into wxlua.

> I am looking to build cross-platform Lua based apps

I can't help with this particular issue as I use gcc rather than
clang, but I do build cross-platform lua apps using wxlua and support
Windows, OSX, and various flavors of Linux. I don't know if the
project structure I have works for you, but the repository includes
build scripts for all the platforms (that build wxwidgets and wxlua
from their repo versions) and also allows running the application
without any compilation on all supported platforms. I've seen reports
that some of the users take project files as the skeleton to build
their own apps.

The repository is at https://github.com/pkulchenko/ZeroBraneStudio,
the build scripts are in the build/ folder and the project description
is here: http://studio.zerobrane.com.

Paul.