# from Steffen Mueller
# on Wednesday 19 March 2008 15:49:

>You cannot create .par's with binary
>(i.e. XS module or dll) components under one architecture and have it
>run under another. Somebody spent some time working on this (Eric, I
>think?), but it's hard.

Well, my bent was trying to automate a tri-platform build from the linux
box.  I think I had determined that the .exe could be built with cat
(and possibly running the `zip -A` fixup with wine, but I'm not sure if
wine was even required.)  The real catch is getting all of the windows
binaries together, and what I wanted to do was a 100% cross-compiled
solution so that the windows machine was only there for testing, didn't
need any development tools, &c (but honestly I would rather that a
strawberry perl running under wine would work so I wouldn't have to
touch a windows box at all.)

If you're on a windows box, trying to build in the other direction, that
sounds like more trouble than its worth.  The trouble with
cross-platform builds in distributed projects is that not everyone has
a windows and/or mac box, whereas the typical barrier to having a linux
box is about 30 minutes of download time.

--Eric
    http://scratchcomputing.com