>>  This is wrong on many levels... first Wx.bundle should link to the dynamic
>> wxWidgets libs; since it does not, either you are linking to the static libs
>> (unsupported) or the not linking at all to the wxWidgets libraries (which
>> can't work).
>
>  If you have the static wxWidgets still installed, could you please remove
> them and the associated Alien::wxWidgets installation and start from scratch?

This is probably because i built wxWidgets manually with --disable-shared which
creates .a files and not .dylib.

Trying to remove everything. I thought I had removed it all... but now
installing Wx from cpan still thinks that wxWidgets is installed and then
complains that it is not. Do you know how it tests for the presence of the
wxWidget libraries? I also assume that cpan is now supposed to download and
install the wxWidgets library itself?

>>> $ file <one of wxWidgets' dylib files>
>> $ file /usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib
>> /usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
>> /usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit
>> dynamically linked shared library x86_64
>> /usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib (for architecture i386):   Mach-O dynamically
>> linked shared library i386
>> /usr/lib/libexpat.1.dylib (for architecture ppc7400):        Mach-O
>> dynamically linked shared library ppc
>
>  Err... this is expat, not wxWidgets... the wxWidgets libraries are called
> libwx_*.dylib.

Sorry, my misunderstanding I thought you meant show one of the library files
that is linked from Wx.bundle above.

>> Separately, I did also manage to compile wxWidgets 2.9.1, but I couldn't get
>> Wx-0.9702 to 'make' against that.
>
>  I have some uncommitted fixes for that that will be in the next wxPerl
> release.

Although from reading the wiki sites it looks like the Cocoa version is not yet
complete in 2.9.x yet anyway?

thanks again for your help

adam