On 18 September 2012 02:50, Gabor Szabo <ga...@szabgab.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Mark Dootson <mark.doot...@znix.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For the future health of the wxPerl community, I think it would be good
> if
> > there were more direct contributors to the source or support in some
> other
> > way.
> >
> > What do you think stops us having a larger number of commiters?
> >
> > I have an idea that as most of us come from a Perl background of some
> sort
> > and not C++ it perhaps discourages active participation. I know that for
> me
> > when first trying to add or fix a few things, because Wx includes a great
> > deal of smart pre-processing, I found it quite difficult to piece the
> > processes together in my head.
> >
> > So I am wondering if much more detailed documentation of the Wx
> internals /
> > build process / api would be properly useful in this regard. wxPerl is my
> > only C++ project involvement (and was the first XS one as I recall) so
> I'd
> > like to gauge the community view on how helpful this would be? Helpful
> > enough to do this instead of updating the library itself with new 2.9.4
> > features.
> >
> > Also, any ideas on how we might grow the project by increasing the
> number of
> > commiters? It seems an essential thing to do to me.
> >
> > Anyhow, that is just my view. Either we get more active commiters or the
> > project may dwindle.
> >
> > Your view may be different - if so it would be good to share it so we can
> > cherry pick from everyone's ideas.
>
> It is very unlikely that I'll have the time to contribute any time
> soon, even if I knew
> C++ well, but maybe it will get others to contribute.
>
> I was wondering if you could ask for a TPF grant for either the
> documentation or
> the update project? Maybe that will help you allocate time for both
> the documentation
> and the 2.9.4 update.
>
> Just 2c
>
> Gabor

I would love to be more involved but the effort required to get up to speed
on the C++/XS side of things, as it has been a long time since I did any
C/C++ programming and have never touched XS, is definitely a huge
roadblock. Especially when tuits are in short supply.

So more detailed documentation would definitely be helpful if I come across
a Wx itch that hasn't already been scratched by someone else. Would make it
more likely I wrap whatever feature is missing myself instead of working
around it, which is what I would more than likely do now.

My $0.02 CAD.

Brad
<http://brad.donor.com>