On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 14:28 +0200, Erik Auerswald wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 07:47:47AM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > >
> > > This is the standard network performance tuning found everywhere. This is
> > > interesting for a saturated server, but will not solve any fundamental
> > > speed issues.
> > >
> > I have been wondering if it will help with resilience.  We are having
> > problems where, if the Internet connection starts dropping packets,
> > recovery of the X2Go client is much slower than recovery of other
> > applications such as web browsing.
>
> Web browsing will start new TCP connections (not for every fetched URL
> as back in the day, but still), while SSH uses just one connection. Thus
> you might have the combination of TCP slow start with several competing
> TCP connections (web browsing, file sharing, ...). As long as data
> is available to send (e.g. a screen update of X2Go), TCP will try to
> increase the send window, which might result in packet loss and slow
> the stream down again.
>
> You could try with a different congestion control algorithm for the ssh
> session or with quality of service settings (end-to-end or at least at the
> choke point, which might be the client side internet router).
>
> >  We have tried playing with
> > ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax but that has not helped.
>
> This would only help to keep the session alive, but not to speed up
> recovery.
<snip>
Thanks, Erik.  Yes, I assume we are falling into the TCP backoff
algorithm for resending the packets and I don't know of a way to
reinitiate the connection.  I was hoping ClientAlive would do that but
it apparently doesn't.  We could time it out faster using the ssh
timeout parameter but that won't help recovery - just drop the session
faster - John