It sounds like they have already contacted an attorney about this matter. I would recommend that they have their attorney let the registrant know that they intend to challenge their mark. Often times this will result in some agreement between the parties without getting into a protracted legal battle which is usually negative for both sides. I would try the carrot first, before I tried the stick.

Regards,
Gerry