On 2011-07-25 14:19, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 13:52:30 (CEST), Moritz Struebe wrote:
>
>> On 2011-07-25 13:37, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>>> To be honest, I'd like to remove the cleanup daemon completely and
>>> integrate the cleanup into the listsessions command. The current
>>> implementation of the cleanup daemon in perl that runs as root and
>>> doesn't work properly anyway makes me feel quite uneasy.
>> I think there are two things that nedd cleaning up:
>> 1) Clean dead sessions from the DB  to free displays.
>> 2) Clean up hold sessions in the home-dir to free memory.
>>
>> The first is probably better done as daemon/cron-job. The daemon needs
>> extended rights, because it needs access to all sessions (this is
>> relevant due to the postgres-implementation), and needs to run on every
>> server. Running as x2gouser should do the trick, though.
> Why can't this run in user context? I mean the user has priviledges to
> create sessions, why can't he clean up after himself?

He can, of course. But we also want to clean up sessions of people who
only log in once in a while.

>> The second is probably best placed in x2gocreatesession, as the user
>> should have the rights to clean up it's old sessions (root normally may
>> not access foreign homes via NFS).
> Why is this cleanup better done at 'create session' time rather than at
> 'listing sessions' time?

List session should list sessions. You don't want it to have strange
side-effects (IMO deleting files is such a strange side-effect). While
not perfect, x2gocreatesession (and x2goresumesession?) is rather
something you expect to do more, as it also creates a profile folder.
You might even want it to wait a week before it cleans up, so you can
"debug" your session.

Cheers
Morty

--
Dipl.-Ing. Moritz 'Morty' Struebe (Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter)
Lehrstuhl für Informatik 4 (Verteilte Systeme und Betriebssysteme)

Tel   : +49 9131 85-25419
Fax   : +49 9131 85-28732
eMail : stru...@informatik.uni-erlangen.de
WWW   : http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~morty