Am 30.05.2012 08:32, Mihai Moldovan schrieb:
> I do have some other issues, though. Especially when starting a flash video in
> Iceweasel, sound is choppy, distorted, (< buffer underruns?) the video will
> halt
> a few seconds in-play, sound will roll on for like 20 seconds, then stop,
> video
> catch up fast and once the video has reached the sound position, both video
> and
> sound playback will pick up again, but sound and picture will be
> desynchronized
> as the sound makes a 20 seconds jump into the "future".
>
> This is a very odd behavior, but I'm not sure what to make of it.
>
> On the other hand, playing some MP3 file via mplayer (w/o any other
> application
> running) works flawlessly.
>
> I have noticed problems when running pavucontrol and mplayer both at the same
> time, though.
>
> But I figure both the pavucontrol+mplayer and flash video problems are due to
> the remote ADSL connection. I see a peak incoming traffic of about 250KB/s,
> hardly enough for both sound and video. Another circumstance that may well
> confirm this theory is that lowering the image quality (i.e., set to JPEG
> compression with 64 colors) has a positive effect on the sound output.

If the network connection is limited pulse becomes pretty unhappy. It's
buffering algorithm is designed for LANs or at least stable conditions.
It also seems to make certain assumptions about the delay of other data
or whatever. In your case it seems like it's buffering 20 secs; but
reacts immediately to play and pause commands, which is what you want
when listening to mp3s.
As the setup will not allow to connect timestamps to images and sound
I'm afraid video and sound will just not work properly over a limited
connection and will never be perfectly in sync even when using a LAN.

Cheers
Morty