Hi Arnold,

On Sa 02 Jun 2012 13:19:27 CEST Arnold Krille wrote:

On Friday 01 June 2012 08:32:40 Mike Gabriel wrote:
just for the record and to let people know about current work focus...

People (esp. John) have reported occurrences of a very sluggish
behaviour of various applications when run in X2Go sessions.

Add me to that list (and my co-workers).

Noted! :-)

We developers can now confirm this. Ubuntu users reported this
earlier, Debian user can now also experience such a sluggishness.

Reproduce on Debian:

   * add squeeze-backports archive to your system
   * install iceweasel (esr version)

This will drag in a libcairo from squeeze backports that is very
probably the cause for making some applications very slow within X2Go
sessions.

Libcairo is used in all GTK applications and is a layer between GTK
and the rendering backend (X11, OpenGL, ...). With some recent version
of libcairo the sluggishness got introduced...

Would it help to mask/block the libcairo from squeeze-backports? Or test with
a newer version from wheezy? Maybe I can squeeze that in next week...

When blocking from squeeze-backports you block out latest iceweasel/icedove and many other libcairo/gtk based packages as well.

For wheezy, an installation without the slow libcairo is rather unpossible.

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM