Hi Brian,

On Sa 24 Nov 2012 15:50:04 CET brian mullan wrote:

Trying to connect with my x2goclient I got an error

Failed to load session "gnome-fallback"

That was a bug in x2goserver 3.1.1.7 and it has been fixed since 3.1.1.8. However, UNITY is only properly available in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (and the core developers only support LTS releases of Ubuntu actively).

It is a pity that unity-2d was dropped in 12.10.

I guess I had thought that the entry in x2go client for "Unity" meant that
actual support for full Unity (not just Unity-2d) had been implemented.

No, the UNITY option in X2Go Client means: launch unity-2d. This works fine in 12.04. And I recommend using LTS for serious deployments of X2Go, anyway.

Since starting with Ubuntu 12.10 there is no longer support for Unity-2d
are there any plans as to what the future holds with x2go ?

If Ubuntu sticks to going the OpenGL path and puts more efforts in supporting hardware acceleration than network transparency of graphical applications, then no, X2Go will not be able to go that path (with NX as technology).

I also am interested what plans there might be for the coming introduction
of Wayland into Ubuntu as well as the other linux distro's I've heard
that are going to be supporting Wayland?

I agree with Reinhard, this seems a bit far off still.

Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148