Am 11.12.2013 01:43, schrieb Michael DePaulo:
In preparation for the upcoming release of X2Go Client 4.0.1.2, a new
nightly build of the Windows binary is available for download under:

http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/x2goclient/previews/4.0.1.2/

Right now the current plan for 4.0.1.2's release is "We've stopped
making changes. If no showstopper bugs or regressions are reported,
we'll release 4.0.1.2 on Friday." So while we want all bugs reported
on http://bugs.x2go.org/ , it is especially important that users
report any regressions since the last stable version of X2Go Client
for windows, 4.0.0.3, before Friday 2013-12-13.

I just tried out x2goclient-4.0.1.2-pre02 and I'm a little disappointed.

1) There's no improvement on the sound issue (Flash videos sound "choppy"), yet there's no additional download option where one could download a copy of x2goclient-4.0.1.2-pre02-setup that is set to use the old pulseaudio. :-( Showstopper for me, can't roll that out to my customers.

2) Even with the newer Xserver that is included in x2goclient-4.0.1.2-pre02-setup, Chromium and Chrome still crash at random intervals. To be exact, they're not crashing themselves, they're crashing the X server. Pausing and resuming a session lets you continue where you stopped, yet, this is an instability that users won't put up with since they quit Windows 98/Millennium for good. It's only when X2Go is involved that these crashes occur - if you export the display with ssh (from PuTTY) instead of using x2goclient.exe, Chromium and Chrome behave well. Not a showstopper (customers are using Iceweasel so far), but something where I had hoped to see some improvement with the new Xserver. :-(

3) The two items above are connected in a way: Flash sound isn't "choppy" in Chromium/Chrome, so if we'd get Chromium/Chrome to work, I could try to migrate my users away from Iceweasel to avoid the sound issue. On the other hand, if you are able to fix the sound issue, I don't see a need to migrate to Chromium/Chrome.

4) New Eye Candy #1: The taskbar icon suddenly changes into the seal icon once the connection is established. Please add a checkbox/config file entry to disable this. I'm sure it will confuse users who have previously used published application mode and look for the "Accelerated X" icon that has just vanished. I'm kind of disappointed that we're adding silly eye candy when there still are serious bugs to fix.

5) New Eye Candy #2: Upon connection, an info bubble pops up, containing a *totally cryptic session name* and disappearing after five seconds or so. No non-technical user can make use of that message, seriously. And even technical users will have a hard time memorizing a cryptic session name within 5 seconds. Please, also add an option to disable this popup, and seriously consider changing the displayed info to something more userfriendly like "Connection to host <host>, session <sessionname> established as user <user>." It's okay to add the cryptic string somewhere where techies can find it if they need it, maybe in an About-Box or so, but please - think of the chil^W ordinary non-technical end user. And again, I'm kind of disappointed that we're adding silly eye candy when there still are serious bugs to fix.

@Mike&Mike (or is that MikeĀ²?):
I'm guessing this should go into the bugtracker, somehow. Please advise on how it should be tagged and I'll turn items 1, 2, 4, and 5 into four new bugtracker entries.

-Stefan