If this is a loop waiting for something to happen...  why not do X loops
at relatively rapid succession and after loop count hits X then
incrementally make it slower and slower (since things obviously arent
working out or taking too long) and when loop count hits Y either
stabilize the loop speed at a less aggressive rate and if things really
really truly is not working out... at some point give up and clean up.

This keeps responsiveness high when everything is working fine and keeps
things from going bananas when things aren't going quite as one would
wish for...