Good news! We have an upstream bug:
https://github.com/ArcticaProject/nx-libs/issues/677

It appears that Arctica issue is exactly what I have been experiencing.

I use KDE on two screens with different resolutions (1920x1200 and 1600x1200).
X2goclient session uses only one of these displays, but the mere presence of
two monitors on the client causes nxagent to crash on the server. I tested
another client machine with one screen, and everything worked fine (i.e. I was
able to open the session, and nxagent did not segfault). It does not matter
whether I move the x2go session window, maximize it, and so on. All that
matters is number of displays on the client and their relative size. (I did not
test with two screens of equal size.)

As the upstream bug suggested, I installed the x2go nightly packages, as
explained here:
https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:development:nightly-builds
After that, the problem went away and dual-screen setup worked fine. So I guess
the bug is fixed in nightly builds.

As a side note, the number of bugs that show up in various Linux packages when
using dual monitors has recently been so astounding that I am ready to give up
and replace my setup with a larger single screen. Still, I can't force all my
users to do so.