Do you know approximately how much bandwidth the current repository
eats?  And how much such a repository might be likely to eat?

   Knowledgeable human assistance, not telephone trees or script readers.

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015, Mike Gabriel wrote:

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 19:34:20 +0000
From: Mike Gabriel <mike.gabr...@das-netzwerkteam.de>
To: Stefan Baur <x2go-m...@baur-itcs.de>
Cc: x2go-user@lists.x2go.org
Subject: Re: [X2Go-User] Launchpad cleanup

Hi Stefan,

On  Do 24 Sep 2015 12:17:58 CEST, Stefan Baur wrote:

Am 24.09.2015 um 12:09 schrieb Mike Gabriel:

Actually, Robert got me correctly. I have removed the build recipes
from X2Go's Launchpad configuration _and_ remove the packages from
the PPAs.

As a community project, we don't support non-support Linux distros.
If anyone needs X2Go builds for old operating systems, there are
two possibilities (at least).

I don't see a reason why we should remove the packages that were
already built.  Not providing new packages, not caring about
dependency issues etc., not providing security fixes, ... for
unsupported distributions/releases is one thing, but deleting what
already was there?  Do we really have a good reason to annoy users
like that (space constraints on our servers or something?)?

There is a simple reason from the past. People more than once revealed severe issues in X2Go software and required dependencies (that we provided via Launchpad). We don't want to provide old code for download containing known bugs and security issues.

Think of a user that is stuck with an unsupported distribution/release
for some reason or other.  Do you really want to punish that user for
not keeping a local copy of the repository?

I can think of them, but as a community project, we do neither have man power nor resources to support those non-supported scenarios.

Doesn't sound like a smart move to me ..

Not smart, maybe, but strict. I admit, we should have archives packages. Maybe someone from the devs should work on archived.x2go.org/<distro>.

If we're not limited by disk space or something similar, I would
suggest moving such packages to a repo that is named
<releasename>-unsupported or -outdated or -archive.
At least for the time that the main OS repository is still available
somewhere, too (think snapshots.debian.org).

Indeed. Good point. To late for lucid now, but someone surely should work on such a concept and design a site for that.

Greets,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM