Final update, in case anyone else ever bumps into this:

After digging deeper around what turned out to be a bit of a red herring
(SSSD), I stumbled across a rather simple issue relating to using numeric
only usernames, with a solution detailed at
http://lists.x2go.org/pipermail/x2go-user/2015-April/003159.html

That one quick change to support numeric usernames in
x2gosqlitewrapper.pl later
and everything started working.

Thanks,

Chris