On 26.02.2017 10:25 AM, Robert Dinse wrote:
>       In my case it is the x2goagent on the server.  I can not find a core
> however.

Do you have the same symptom? Is MATE not starting up at all?
Or is it crashing after the session has been running for some time already?

Normally, core files tend to sit in the user's home dir - but that depends
upon some circumstances (like whether creating core dumps at all is
allowed or not - with different systems utilizing different methods of
getting this to work.)

Fedora and RHEL-based distros use ABRT (Automatic Bug Reporting Tool),
which stashes the core dumps and can easily send them to Red Hat's Bugzilla
instance.

The general place to look at is probably /etc/security/limits.conf for
core dumping permissions and then figure out what ABRT exactly does.

If you want to have ABRT out of the way,
echo "core" > /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
will take care of that.

Mihai