Hello,

I am trying to understand if x2go can be used for a specific use case I am
working on.   Our team  manages  an HPC  linux cluster for researchers at
our University.
We have an interactive computing portal that allows users to schedule
interactive jobs on our cluster, including Remote Desktop sessions that are
not in the login space, but run as jobs on the compute nodes .
At the moment we use VNC + Xfce  to setup those sessions. The job gets
started by the SLURM scheduler on the compute nodes, and the job script
(run as the user who submits the job) starts up a vncserver and
xfce4-session.

Users can then connect to their sessions either via noVNC or with a regular
VNC client.
The performance of our current setup does not match the needs of some of
our users and I am looking for alternatives for those specific edge cases.

>From what I understand from reading the docs and to the extent of my
limited personal experience with X2go,  X2go is typically setup as a login
solution, where the session is typically started from when the client logs
in.

I was wondering if there was a way in which I could configure the software
to match as close as possible our current Remote Desktop session compute
jobs setup.  In particular, can I have the desktop session started from a
batch job and then sit and wait for the client to connect? And could I
configure things  so that clients connecting will only be able to attach to
existing sessions and not initiate new ones?

Thanks for any advise you might have.

Best Regards
Francesco