2. I could see processes are sleeping by ssh into machine: when x2go was
active I had a bunch
of processes running 100%, then when suspended they are not active.
3. Remaining mystery is why I have other older installations that never did
this, but this new machine sleeps by default.
    The older installs, also Fedora, have all been kept up-to-date.

--
*Those who don't understand recursion are doomed to repeat it*