Am 02.03.20 um 16:30 schrieb Josh G:
I recently tried to download the latest X2Go client.  Multiple browsers give an error on
the download about the application being malware/virus.  Further, I was greeted with
Microsoft Windows Defender SmartScreen stating: "Windows Defender SmartScreen
prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at
risk."  This is my first time downloading this version, so I don't know if this is
an issue with SmartScreen or with the binary.  I did not have this issue a couple of
months ago when I downloaded 4.1.2.0.Thanks,Josh

Please see the previous, recent threads on this list regarding the issue.

TL;DR: Certain Antivirus tools are stupid and automatically flag everything that isn't digitally signed and has a low number of downloads - which is obviously the case for a new release. To verify X2GoClient for Windows hasn't been tampered with, strip the executable name from the URL, download all the files you can find there, not just the .EXE, then compare checksums and GPG signature.

-Stefan

--
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur