I just came over a neat way to find out if an application is using X11
or wayland: start xeyes (which will start in an Xwayland environment).
Whenever you move your pointer into a window check if xeyes reacts to
that movement. If yesm the window is using X11 (XWayland). If the eys
are _not_ moving, the window belongs to a wayland application.

Uli