Lars Martin wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Tue, 22 May 2001 15:29:21 +0200
> Jeremias Maerki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> Well, on the one hand I see the advantage of this object oriented
> approach to have a common QueryService interface. On the other hand
> I would try to keep the API layer as thin as possible. Your proposal
> doesn't functionally extent the current API, you can achieve the same
> with the following - and I think that's your current solution:
>
> public interface SQLSelectQueryService extends Service {
>     ResourceIterator query(String sqlQuery) throws XMLDBException;
>  }
>
> public interface XPathQueryService extends Service {
>     ResourceIterator query(String xpathQuery) throws XMLDBException;
>  }
>
> Don't get me wrong here. I see the advantage of your example above. IMO
> the costs (i.e. complexity) outweighs the advantages here. Other ideas?

I think if the query interfaces become more complex with multiple shared
methods then the proposed change makes a lot of sense. I'd like to see
how things develop a little more though before we make a change.

> Of course you can add a "delete" method (or whatever you need) to your
> proposed SQLSelectQueryService interface - no problem so far. The Service
> interface was introduced to provide a future-proof extension mechanism.
> Today we don't know what functionality the future will provide.
>
> The XPathQueryService provides a read-only interface to XPath, therefore
> "delete()" doesn't make sense and "query()" should be the only method
> defined at this interface.
>
> So I propose - as already discussed with Kimbro - to provide a Service
> interface for the XUpdate specification. This spec provides tags to
> modify any XML document (incl. delete) and a Java based implementation
> does already exist.

Yes, I'll be introducing this for discussion in the next few days along
with the CollectionManagement service that was also discussed
previously. I'm thinking both will be optional at Core Level 0 and 1.

> > 4. Wouldn't it be nice to have a set of conformance tests for XML:DB so
> > we can improve exchangability between drivers and faciliate and speed up
> > the development of drivers? For the Java world this could consist of a
> > package of JUnit tests, for example.
>
> This is true. As far as I could see Kimbro already checked in a "simple"
> test suite based on JUnit. And Per Nyfelt (are you here Per? :-) started
> to implement a test suite for Ozone that could be contributed to XML:DB.
> Anyway, every kind of help is welcome and if you're interested to volunteer,
> check out the latest CVS and have a look at the sources. Again, any
> help is welcome. :-)

Yes I commited the start of a test suite along with the reference
implementation and some other classes that will make up an SDK for
developing API implementations. I haven't had time to add proper
documentation or anything yet so for now it is just available from CVS.
Getting some help in fleshing out all of this would be great.

> > The XML:DB API, so far, is exactly what I need. So I guess the project
> > is on the right track.
>
> Great!
> Do others have development experiences?
>
> > I'm looking forward to your comments.
> >
> > Jeremias Märki
> >
> > mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > OUTLINE AG
> > Postfach 3954 - Rhynauerstr. 15 - CH-6002 Luzern
> > Fon +41 (41) 317 2020 - Fax +41 (41) 317 2029
> > Internet http://www.outline.ch
> --
> Contact adminstrator:   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Read archived messages: http://archive.xmldb.org/

Kimbro Staken
The dbXML Project
http://www.dbxml.org/