> I really can't see how this might happen. You should always have an
> executation context like XSLT or the like. We only use XPath to
> evaluate the context node, i.e. select one or more node/elements.
> But your're right here: this question just not come up before.

Yes there will always be an execution context. XPath could be
being used within XSLT, or XQuery, or it could be being used
standalone to filter documents in a collection. But, yes, even in
that case there's an execution context. So, say my context has
$foo bound to 'bar', and my XPath expression refers to $foo.
How using XPathQueryService do I pass the variable bindings
from my execution environment through to the XPath query
service? The namespace prefix to uri mapping is also within
the execution context, but in this case there are a set of methods
provided for passing that through to the execution engine...

John