For what it's worth, it turns out that Xastir's BDB usage is sufficiently
basic that it *can* use BDB18 instead of BDB5 with a very trivial hack on
acinclude.m4 and no code change whatsoever.

This is enough to make it build with BDB18 support on FreeBSD and keep map
caching functional.

I've submitted a pull request to Xastir for review by the other developers.

https://github.com/Xastir/Xastir/pull/218

However, Xastir's BDB detection is still primitive, looking for headers where
it is told to and libraries in a loop from newest to oldest acceptable
version.  So if both DB5 and DB18 are installed and Xastir is told to look for
DB5 headers, it will use those headers but still find the newer libraries.
That results in a runtime detection of the mismatch and disabling of map
caching.  This has always been the case with Xastir, which used to trip up
users when multiple old versions (db5 and db4) were both installed and the
header path to the older version was given.

So once this patch is accepted and moved into the official repo and a release,
(or if the patch to acinclude.m4 is added to the Xastir port on FreeBSD in
the interim), the FreeBSD port makefile will have to have "USES=bdb:18" added
lest it fall back to looking for db5 headers by default as I think it would if
it simply had "USES=bdb".  Of course that whole problem will go away if
libdb5 is removed from ports altogether or if only the newer one is installed.

On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 10:11:34AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron
collision of the <ru...@bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM