Festival could be a lot more useful if the proximity alerts didn't get fired
off by the movement of your station. For a fixed station wathcing people
drive by, it works pretty good. Every time the mobile station moves, it will
tell you the callsign and distance information for that station. I tried it
while driving one day, and I had the audio queued up for 1/2 an hour because
I drove past 2 fixed stations within the alert proximity. I was 40 miles
down the road by the time that Xastir stopped telling me that VE6*** was 5
miles away. (That can get the XYL a little upset!)

Xastir needs to ignore movement updates of itself for creating audio alerts.
At least it needs to ignore most of them, perhaps firing off an alert every
1/2 mile or so. This could be a user configurable parameter. It should
always fire off an audio alert when remote stations send APRS position
updates, but hold off due to it's own position updates.

James
VE6SRV