Jason Winningham wrote:

On Dec 16, 2006, at 11:25 AM, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:

I agree, although changing the spec is likely to be difficult. Thus, I'm thinking about a back-door approach to create the weather products.

Could we do something as simple as a keyword in the status test to indicate it meets NWS/NOAA standards? Or is the current APRS WX format inadequate in some way?

What I'd like to see is a weather message that then has, appended to it, the new message.

It could even be as rigorous as having a station vetted in some way, then a (short) public key issued to that station to include in the status text to give the issuing authority a higher level of confidence to the data.

CWOP's not ready for this yet. There's some planning going into how to accomplish a combination of better metadata collection and management, as well as maintaining a slightly different QC compendium. The jury is still out on the QC work, as Philip Gladstone's really done a stellar job of bringing this together into a system that works well and is understandable by folks with little understanding of the statistical methods used for this work.

There's certainly nothing to stop anyone from declaring another packet format altogether, although it needs to be compatible with the Kenwoods. |:

hrumph...

I've also thought that one solution to the 144.39 channel crowding was to move WX and an appropriate number if digis to another frequency to create an APRS WX net.

Interesting idea and one I'd support but it's something that would be a long-shot. Getting hams to move the digi resources is likely to be problemmatical. I remember the number of crystals I bought to facilitate the move to 144.39.

gerry
--
Gerry Creager -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983