Serial/USB converters have vendor/product ID's. If the converter that is being
used for the GPS dongle does not register, no comms will take place.

Best place to check to see if your system is recognizing the unit is to plug it
in and do a "dmesg" and see if the system creates the serial port. If not, then
it will take a kernel hack, and I can't remember the module, to install the
id's.

73,

Richard, N6NKO

"William M. Bickley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Is that a combo which will
work?  I just purchased GPSGate to work with
the USB GPS on Windows programs, but I don't see a Linux equivalent, and
I really want to get this new laptop up and running with Xastir.

Can do?

Bill