On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Alex Carver wrote:

It's about as sane as it can be until Bob B. changes his mind
again which should be happening in 5...4...2...wait, what happened
to 3?

In theory it's meant to be machine parsable so that the new D710's
can read it and tune the VFO.

In practice, the D710's are out and in use so the format is "out in
the wild".

D170's _can_ be firmware-upgraded in the field but most likely Bob
won't change the format because many people will never upgrade to
newer firmware and we just _can't_ alienate those users.  Once any
of the protocol is in firmware Bob is very reluctant to change
it.

--
Curt, WE7U.                             archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer