On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 09:11:10PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron
collision of the <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> flavor, containing:
> Hello,
>
> A group of students along with myself are planning a balloon launch using
> xastir as our mapping software.  I have played around with it a bit, I have
> gotten some maps to work but the type we are looking to use (geotiff) is not
> working.  The .tif's have the corner information inside of them, they are
> all located in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/AZ, I select them to be used in
> xastir itself, but then nothing happens.  I the command line xastir reports:
>
> convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too high):144170907
> convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too low):4285538203
> convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too high):144170907
> convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too low):4285538203
> convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too high):144170907
> <many more lines of the same>
>
> The maps were pulled from:
> http://ariadata.arid.arizona.edu/browse/drg_250k.asp?path=/decollared

The maps have been processed with a tool that doesn't preserve georeferencing
metadata such as coordinate system and datum.  You'll have to figure out
what coordinate system they're really in and use gdal_translate to install
the proper information.  README.MAPS has some information about that.

 "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours."  -- R. Bach