I was playing around with the latest offering from the National Hurricane
Center website which is a bundle of GIS files including shape files for the
three- and five-day projection cones of the various storms.  To that end, I was
tinkering with a small dbfawk file for these shape files and sort of have
things working but with a few cosmetic issues I'd like to resolve (and somehow
can't).

First, is there a way to resolve or reorder overlapping lines?  The five-day
cone has polygon data for the three-day cone already inside it.  The problem is
that the five-day cone ends up being drawn over the top of the three-day cone
so I can't see any of the three-day lines except for the very last arc of the
cone.  This is only cosmetic since the three- and five-day cones overlap
completely but I was trying to get a red cone for the three-day and a yellow
one for the leftover bits in the five-day.

Second, if two DBF files have the same fingerprint, is there a way to
distinguish between the files assuming that the file name is not known in
advance?  The reason for this question is the hurricane track is provided as a
separate file from the cone polygons and I was trying to display it in a
different color.  But, the track and polygon files have identical DBF column
names.

Third, is there a way to kick Xastir and force it to reindex the maps and
refresh the screen non-interactively?  If I get this working, a cron is going
to download the track, drop it in the maps directory and it should be able to
signal Xastir to reindex the maps and refresh the display so that the track is
updated.