On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Kurt A. Freiberger wrote:

Tigermaps above a certain level are coming back blank, or not at all, actually. They aren't timing out as far as I can tell.

At my home in Austin, TX:
map.gif is OK at ZL 790.  map.gif does not exist when at ZL > 790.

Move to S. Florida:
map.gif is OK at 512, does not exist when above that.

It doesn't seem to be timing out, and the command prompt window shows no errors.

It's probably the Tiger server that is messing up, but that zoom
level seems a bit high for that server anyway.  If I recall
correctly they use a sine projection (really weird) for speed, and
the distortion you see away from the middle of the map gets worse
as you zoom out.

An easy way to check whether it's the server doing it to you:  Look
in your ~/.xastir/tmp directory for map.* files.  The latest one is
probably the one that you just downloaded from Tiger.  Look at it
using "gm display FILENAME" (GM) or "display FILENAME" (IM).  See if
it's also black.

While we're at it, I'm not sure I've mentioned this to a wide-enough
audience yet:  The Terraserver images don't get georeferenced
properly if your map window is too wide.  I have a couple of 22"
wide-screen LCD's at work (Yea I know, I wish I had a setup like
that at home too!).  If I stretch Xastir too wide on just one of the
screens then the terraserver maps aren't georeferenced properly.  I
_think_ this has to do with the terraserver images returned being
smaller than requested, but haven't fully looked into the problem.
I made the Xastir screen narrower and called it good.

We could mostly solve the problems described above plus give
ourselves a lot more functionality by requesting map tiles and
caching those, plus drawing them as they came in.  That'll probably
have to wait for Xastir-NG...

--
Curt, WE7U.                             archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer