Try this (notice the label level)

# BEGIN is called once per dbf file which contains multiple records.
BEGIN {
# dbfinfo is the "signature" of the dbf file listing the column names in
order.
# dbfinfo should match the dbf file that we say this dbfawk file goes with.
dbfinfo="GridSquare";

# dbffields is which of the above fields we actually want to look at.
# Note that the order we list these is important since we are appending the
# word County or Parish depending on what state the county is in.
dbffields="GridSquare"}

# BEGIN_RECORD is called once per dbf record which contains multiple fields.
# Use this rule to re-initialize variables between records.
BEGIN_RECORD {key=""; lanes=1; fill_color=23;
        color=40; label_color=40;
        name=""; filled=0; pattern=0;
        display_level=8192; label_level=512;
        symbol=""; font_size=1}

/^GridSquare=(.*)$/ {name="$1 ";}

#END {}

Also, for EN81.shp there is a corresponding EN81.dbfawk I do a  one for
one, so there is always a corresponding dbfawk for the .shp file

EKG