On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 23:42 -0600, Lee Bengston wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 2:23 PM, roger g6ckr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for filling in the gaps.
> > While waiting last night (the xastir website and I suspect the list
> > server being down again) I did a recompile and the error did go away.
> > Now I need to find a UK map that I can make work.
> > Might have to run up my laptop over the weekend which still has Ubuntu
> > 8.04 on and compare how things run as there have been a few problems
> > with other Ham apps on 8.10
> > Roger
>
> Hi Roger and list readers,
>
> Fyi, I tried compiling Xastir 1.95 from CVS on a clean install of
> Xubuntu 8.10, and there were no problems.  With respect to package
> names, the only difference between the 8.10 and 6.10 as documented in
> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_6.10 was the
> libdb4.7-dev package that needs to be installed instead of
> libdb4.4-dev.
>
> Regarding the small difference between Ubuntu 6.10 and 7.04 in the
> wiki, I followed the 6.10 procedure, which installs automake1.9 and
> libxp-dev instead of automake and x11proto-print-dev.  I found that
> there is no need to install autoconf in Intrepid/8.10 as it is
> installed as a dependency when automake1.9 is installed.  Also,
> X11proto-print-dev is installed as a dependency when libxp-dev is
> installed, which I assume was the case with Ubuntu 6.10 as well.
>
> Fyi, I also installed the geotiff packages from the ubuntu repository
> instead of using the get-maptools script.  Knowing from recent
> experience with other Debian based distros that the header files get
> installed in /usr/include/geotiff, I copied them into /usr/include
> before compiling Xastir, and it seems happy with that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Lee - K5DAT
> Murphy, TX
Well I'm rapidly advancing backwards.
I just tried the CVS route and get lines like

./../xastir/src/map_tif.c:957: warning: format ‘%s’ expects type ‘char
*’, but argument 3 has type ‘int’
../../xastir/src/map_tif.c:984: warning: format ‘%s’ expects type ‘char
*’, but argument 3 has type ‘int’
AND
../../xastir/src/map_tif.c:2591: error: ‘current_right’ undeclared
(first use in this function)
../../xastir/src/map_tif.c:2604: error: ‘current_line_width’ undeclared
(first use in this function)
../../xastir/src/map_tif.c:2655: warning: implicit declaration of
function ‘TIFFReadScanline’
make[2]: *** [map_tif.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/roger/src/XASTIR/build-full/src'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/roger/src/XASTIR/build-full/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/src/XASTIR/build-full$

During the make and install give the same errors.
NOTE the build-full does not imply that the initial worked I just
continued in the hope that the additions might help.

<http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_6.10>
Was the page used.
One question is should I have removed the 1.9.4 I had managed to compile
Before. instinct says no as a fail like now would result in no version
to run.
I apologise that I'm not very good as soon as a set of instruction stop
working.
73 Roger G6CKR