On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 06:07:47PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron
collision of the <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Ray Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > We have dbf files with the county files.
>
> Not dbf, dbfawk.  That's an xastir-specific file that goes with a set
> of shapefiles to influence how those files are displayed. As best I
> can recall, the behavior you describe sounds like how xastir displays
> a shapefile with no corresponding dbfawk.

Yes, it is.  Not only that, the weather alert stuff is entirely dependent on
proper dbfawk files being set up for the associated shapefiles -- the dbfawk
files provided with Xastir will only make the NOAA US shapefiles work
properly.  You'll have to set up a complete new dbfawk for the
Australia-specific shapefiles.

You can look at the nwsc_ddmmyy.dbfawk file in /usr/local/share/xastir/config
for how the US county data is used; odds are good you can copy that one to
another name and modify it only slightly to get your shapefiles working.

One must set a "key" for each shape that will be used to match that
shape against the county in the alert (the alert "title").  For the US, that
key is something like NM_C004 for county # 004 in state NM.  The
nwsc_ddmmyy.dbfawk file combines the "STATE" and "FIPS" fields in the dbf file
to construct the key.  It will almost certainly be different for the Australia
shapefiles.  You will also need to be sure to set the dbfinfo and dbffields
variables appropriately.

The Xastir wiki page
  http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:DBFAWK
is the wikified version of my dbfawk tutorial, but it doesn't go into
the weather alert stuff (mainly because that stuff was already set up for
US users and few would need to modify it).  The essential dbfawk feature
that's not described in that document is the "key" field, which is used
only for weather alerts.  The dbfinfo and dbffields variables are documented
there, though.

 "I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels
  of suspicion and paranoia." -- Ineffective daily affirmation