I believe I have found the bug in 2.6's initrd that causes the error I provided the screenshot for. In the "init" file:

if [ -z "$SNAPSHOTSERVER" ]; then cp /etc/resolv.conf \$NEWROOT/etc/resolv.conf; fi

The backslash there is escaping the dollar sign for $NEWROOT, and as a result, well, is generating that error :)

I need to head out for a bit so I don't have time to try fixing it and re-packing the initrd. If someone else would like to be adventurous and give it a shot, go for it.

Also, as for the stalling issue you are having, both genimage and packimage appear to copy the /install/postscripts/xcatdsklspost and put it in the rootimg folder's /opt/xcat. Just to cover the basics, you did make the ampersand change in the copy in /install/postscripts right?