HI,

Thanks for figuring out the problem and the fix, I opened xCAT bug
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3524563&group_id=208749&atid=1006945
 to track this, we will try to recreate this problem in our env and work on
the fix, and integrate the fix into xCAT code stream.

Thanks,
 Li,Guang Cheng (李光成)
 IBM China System Technology Laboratory
 Email: ligua...@cn.ibm.com
 Address: Building 28, ZhongGuanCun Software Park,
          No.8, Dong Bei Wang West Road, Haidian District Beijing 100193,
PRC

北京市海淀区东北旺西路8号中关村软件园28号楼
邮编: 100193

             John Simon
             <tzz...@yahoo.com
                                       xCAT Users Mailing list
                                                                        cc

                xCAT Users             Re: [xcat-user] bnx2 firmeware
               Mailing list            error with SLES 11 SP2
             <xcat-user@lists.
             sourceforge.net>

The fix is actually in the init script that xCAT puts in the
initrd-stateless. udevd is started after the modules load but killed before
the interface is brought up (see unaltered code below). udevd basically
needs to be left running until the interface is brought up (conceivably
moved after the netstart $IFACE). I went ahead and added the Issue is if
udevd isn't running and the interface needs the firmware network is going
to stop working.

Unaltered init:

# Start udev to find devices attached to node
# This script can be found in /lib/mkinitrd
echo "Creating device nodes with udev"
/sbin/udevd --daemon
if [ -f "/sbin/udevadm" ]
then
    /sbin/udevadm trigger
    /sbin/udevadm settle --timeout=10
fi
sleep 60
killall -9 udevd

Fixed init:

export IFACE=$IFACE
shell

/usr/bin/touch /var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-$IFACE.info
netstart $IFACE
while ! ifconfig | grep inet; do
    echo -e "${RED}Failed to acquire address, retrying ${RESET}"
    sleep 1
    netstart $IFACE
done
ip addr add dev lo 127.0.0.1/8