From:   Craig Finch <cfi...@ieee.org>
Date:   09/25/2012 11:45 AM
Subject:        Re: [xcat-user] Node installation documentation added to Wiki;
            expert attention requested!

Lissa,
I agree that information from the Node Install HOWTO should be added to the
official xCAT documents. Despite the name, this document is not really a
HOWTO.  It is a reference document about how xCAT communicates with a new
node and how xCAT determines what to install on that node.  This
information would be best placed in an official "reference" document rather
than a "quickstart."  Obvoiusly, the information should be reviewed by an
expert before being placed in an official document.

I am not using the official documentation right now because the information
I need is not in the official documents.  The iDataPlex Cluster QuickStart
gives a high-level overview of how xCAT works.  "Setting Up a Linux xCAT
Mgmt Node" helped me get a management node up and running, but it does not
explain how to set up the rest of the nodes.  In fact, not a single page on
the Wiki explains how xCAT knows what to install on a node.  The only way I
found this information was through a search engine, which pointed me to the
outdated Node Installation HOWTO.  This is my motivation for adding it to
the Wiki.

   Craig