> Do you have /opt/xcat/xdsh/Context directory with two files  DSH.pm and XCAT.pm?

On both the management and service nodes, /opt/xcat/xdsh is empty. No Context folder or files anywhere, totally empty directory.

> Also see if  DSH_CONTEXT is exported.  It should not be, but you should have gotten an error, if you did.   That is a strange error message "Error: Invalid context specified: DSH"

That is not exported on the mgmt or service nodes

Is the Management Node and the service nodes still at xCAT 2.3?  It will be really had to support that level, it has been out of service for a long time.

Yes. I understand it is a very old release, but we cannot upgrade at this time. Like I mentioned, we are just trying to determine if this is actually something we need to track down and resolve, or if it's an error that's not really an error.

> xdsh does not log onto the nodes.  It just run the remote command.  YOu can run xdsh c26n24 -T "uptime"  and it will show the exact command it runs.  What OS are you running?

The results of me using "-T" was included in my previous email - no helpful output at all. The mgmt, service, and compute nodes are all CentOS 5.4 x64.

> See if you can run the following:

Here's the results, seems to have worked fine:
 13:24:07 up 46 days,  1:43, 22 users,  load average: 0.47, 0.41, 0.40
:DSH_TARGET_RC=0:

Thanks for your continued help!

On 12/8/2012 5:32 AM, Lissa Valletta wrote:

Do you have /opt/xcat/xdsh/Context directory with two files  DSH.pm and XCAT.pm?
Also see if  DSH_CONTEXT is exported.  It should not be, but you should have gotten an error, if you did.   That is a strange error message "Error: Invalid context specified: DSH"

Is the Management Node and the service nodes still at xCAT 2.3?  It will be really had to support that level, it has been out of service for a long time.

Lissa K. Valletta
8-3/B10
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
(tie 293) 433-3102

Inactive hide details for Russell Jones ---12/07/2012
          03:49:47 PM---Also forgot to mention, we are *not* using the
          syslog postsRussell Jones ---12/07/2012 03:49:47 PM---Also forgot to mention, we are *not* using the syslog postscript. Each  node is responsible for thei

From: Russell Jones <russ...@jonesmail.me>
To: xcat-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: 12/07/2012 03:49 PM
Subject: Re: [xcat-user] Cannot find master for the node $node

Also forgot to mention, we are *not* using the syslog postscript. Each node is responsible for their own logs.

On 12/7/2012 2:45 PM, Russell Jones wrote:
    I am not having much luck finding an xdsh command to run that succeeds. I get "permission denied" on the mgmt node for any command I try to run as root. On the service nodes, I am trying to follow the xdsh man page to just run a simple uptime and am getting:

    [root@service01 ~]# xdsh c26n24 "uptime"
    Error: Invalid context specified: DSH
    Error: Failed to dispatch command to any of the following service nodes: service01,service02,service03,service04

    >From the management node (trying to use the trace option to see errors):

    [root@mgmt1 ~]# xdsh c26n24 -T "uptime"
    Error: Permission denied for request

    Logs show:
    Dec  7 14:36:13 mgmt1 xCAT: xCAT: Allowing xdsh to c26n24 for root from localhost

    Policy table for root:
    "1","root",,,,,,"allow",,

    Not seeing anything in the compute nodes messages or secure that would lead me to believe an attempt to login via SSH was ever made.

    psh, on the other hand, works fine. the remoteshell script does run on each node at boot time.

    On 12/7/2012 1:42 PM, Ling Gao wrote:
      The error is given because the nodes are not in the same subnet as the service node, the script did not check for routing.
      The code uses this function to set up MASTER environmental variable for the node when calling postscripts. If it is not set up correctly some of the postscripts such as syslog will fail. When you say "
      it works fine even with that error". Can you xdsh to the nodes that has the error?

      Ling

      Ling Gao
      Poughkeepsie Unix Development Lab
      IBM Systems and Technology Group
      Internal: T/L 293-5692
      External:
      ling...@us.ibm.com, 845-433-5692

      "I never worry about the future. It comes soon enough." --- Albert Einstein

      From:
      Russell Jones <russ...@jonesmail.me>
      To:
      xcat-user@lists.sourceforge.net
      Date:
      12/07/2012 02:06 PM
      Re: [xcat-user] Cannot find master for the node $node

      Thanks!

      DNS is working properly, both forward and reverse... this seems to occur mostly when entire clusters are booted at the same time.

      The nodes are not within the same subnet, all of these nodes are on different subnets from the service nodes (and routed of course).  The other strange thing is again, it works fine even with that error:

      [root@service03-hc log]# grep c25n37 messages
      Dec  7 09:05:02 service03 xCAT: xCAT: Allowing getpostscript from c25n37
      Dec  7 09:05:03 service03 xCAT: Cannot find master for the node c25n37
      Dec  7 09:05:14 service03 xCAT: xCAT: Allowing getcredentials from c25n37
      Dec  7 09:05:24 service03 xCAT: xCAT: Allowing getcredentials from c25n37
      Dec  7 09:05:32 service03 xCAT: xCAT: Allowing getcredentials from c25n37

      Could this message manifest itself if a service node is very busy? IE, not really an error, just took too long to respond to the request? Or is this literally sending the error because the compute nodes are not on the same subnet as the service nodes?

      On 12/7/2012 12:18 PM, Ling Gao wrote:

      Hi,

       The error is from getFacingIP function. This function takes a node name as an input. Then it

      find out the ip of the given node. Then it call "ifconfig" on the local host. Then it try to see if the node ip and local host is within the same subnet or not. (Please see the code below). The error usually happens when the name resolution on the local host cannot resolve the given node.  Hope it helps.

      #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      =head3   getFacingIP

           Gets the ip address of the adapter of the localhost that is facing the

        the given node.

        Arguments:

           The name of the node that is facing the localhost.

        Returns:

           The ip address of the adapter that faces the node.

      =cut

      #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      sub getFacingIP

      {

        my ($class, $node) = @_;

        my $ip;

        my $cmd;

        my @ipaddress;

        my $nodeip = inet_ntoa(inet_aton($node));

        unless ($nodeip =~ /\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+/)

        {

            return 0;    #Not supporting IPv6 here IPV6TODO

        }

        $cmd = "ifconfig" . " -a";

        $cmd = $cmd . "| grep \"inet \"";

        my @result = xCAT::Utils->runcmd($cmd, 0);

        if ($::RUNCMD_RC != 0)

        {

            xCAT::MsgUtils->message("S", "Error from $cmd\n");

            exit $::RUNCMD_RC;

        }

        # split node address

        my ($n1, $n2, $n3, $n4) = split('\.', $nodeip);

        foreach my $addr (@result)

        {

            my $ip;

            my $mask;

            if (xCAT::Utils->isLinux())

            {

                my ($inet, $addr1, $Bcast, $Mask) = split(" ", $addr);

                if ((!$addr1) || (!$Mask)) { next; }

                my @ips   = split(":", $addr1);

                my @masks = split(":", $Mask);

                $ip   = $ips[1];

                $mask = $masks[1];

            }

            else

            {    #AIX

                my ($inet, $addr1, $netmask, $mask1, $Bcast, $bcastaddr) =

                  split(" ", $addr);

                if ((!$addr1) && (!$mask1)) { next; }

                $ip = $addr1;

                $mask1 =~ s/0x//;

                $mask =

                  `printf "%d.%d.%d.%d" \$(echo "$mask1" | sed 's/../0x& /g')`;

            }

            if ($ip && $mask)

            {

                # split interface IP

                my ($h1, $h2, $h3, $h4) = split('\.', $ip);

                # split mask

                my ($m1, $m2, $m3, $m4) = split('\.', $mask);

                # AND this interface IP with the netmask of the network

                my $a1 = ((int $h1) & (int $m1));

                my $a2 = ((int $h2) & (int $m2));

                my $a3 = ((int $h3) & (int $m3));

                my $a4 = ((int $h4) & (int $m4));

                # AND node IP with the netmask of the network

                my $b1 = ((int $n1) & (int $m1));

                my $b2 = ((int $n2) & (int $m2));

                my $b3 = ((int $n3) & (int $m3));

                my $b4 = ((int $n4) & (int $m4));

                if (($b1 == $a1) && ($b2 == $a2) && ($b3 == $a3) && ($b4 == $a4))

                {

                    return $ip;

                }

            }

        }

        xCAT::MsgUtils->message("S", "Cannot find master for the node $node\n");

        return 0;

      }

      Ling Gao
      Poughkeepsie Unix Development Lab
      IBM Systems and Technology Group
      Internal: T/L 293-5692
      External:
      ling...@us.ibm.com, 845-433-5692

      "I never worry about the future. It comes soon enough." --- Albert Einstein

      From:
      Russell Jones <russ...@jonesmail.me>
      To:
      Date:
      12/07/2012 11:05 AM
      Subject:
      [xcat-user] Cannot find master for the node $node

      Hi all,

      What circumstances have to be present for an xCAT 2.3 service node (old
      I know, but upgrade is not an option at this time) to write to the logs:

      Dec  7 09:16:33 service03 xCAT: Cannot find master for the node c25n25

      All of our service nodes have been doing this for at least over a month
      now, and we have just never noticed it before as nodes are
      netbooting/installing fine. Just curious what the logic is in the code
      that has this message being written out, just so that if it turns out to
      be something we need to track down we know where to start.

      Thanks!

      http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d